Israeli Liberals Take Note: You are just as evil as the rest of us
You would think that a cross cultural exchange between Israeli artists & Canadians might be something to celebrate? Independent artists presenting their own independent thoughts & ideas through the medium of film to foreign audiences. It’s not exactly a bastion of the right, it’s not an ‘evil settler enterprise’ by any conventional stretch of the imagination.
If anything the stereotype would be the opposite, artists in general tend to be on the liberal fringes of societies. If you need proof of how marginal & fringe they often are you need look no further than Toronto Canada – Where OTHER artists have initiated a boycott of the Toronto Independent Film Festival because it *GASP* is featuring films about Tel Aviv (itself the liberal capitol of the Holy Land).
It is a striking look at how the left eats its own because ignorance & hatreds know no bounds. No one is safe, it doesn’t matter what kind of Israeli you are or even what you believe – The mere fact that you are Israeli at all is enough. It’s called anti-Semitism.
Naomi Klein: Israel Basher Out in Front
It’s always seemingly today the leftist Jew out in front of the Israel hatred train. Whom else for the other Anti-Semites to shield themselves under? Of course this is not anti-Semitism per say, its only a boycott of ‘Israel the evil Jewish State’ so it falls into the much more fashionable Anti-Zionist label.
Klein herself is of course out in front. The anti free market anti-capitalist cheerleader, who is herself a granddaughter of ardent communists and routinely pens anti-Israel columns for such filth as the UK Guardian - Is a popular spokesperson for the Boycott Israel crowd. As a Canadian Israeli I’m frankly embarrassed by her, reading this below how can I not be?
The ignorance, and smug sickness that infects the far left for all to see
An international group of more than 50 prominent filmmakers, writers, artists and academics – including Ken Loach, David Byrne, Naomi Klein, Alice Walker, Jane Fonda, Wallace Shawn and Danny Glover – has signed a letter protesting the Toronto International Film Festival’s decision to spotlight the city of Tel Aviv and the work of 10 Israeli filmmakers. The letter is to be published online Thursday, with a call for additional signatories.
“As members of the Canadian and international film, culture and media arts communities, we are deeply disturbed by [TIFF’s] decision to host a celebratory spotlight on Tel Aviv,” the letter begins. “We protest that TIFF, whether intentionally or not, has become complicit in the Israeli propaganda machine.” [...]
She’s in good company, all of whom now refer to Israel as an ‘Apartheid Regime’ - ‘Hanoi Jane’ Fonda, Danny Glover and 50 odd other ‘leading lights of society’ join in to the hate fest. Not everyone is impressed however. The Film Festival itself has put up a defense and rejected the boycott calls which are absurd.. But not before sucking some serious liberal lefty A** and stating that Tel-Aviv itself is “contested ground” -
* [...] We recognize that Tel Aviv is not a simple choice and that the city remains contested ground. We continue to learn more about the Palestinian-led Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions movement. As a festival that values debate and the exchange of cultures, we will continue to screen the best films we can find from around the world. This is our contribution to expanding our audiences’ experience of this art form and the worlds it represents.
Hence I guess TIFF also chooses to de-legitimizing the entire State of Israel in one blow? And embraces the common Palestinian narrative that Israel should be destroyed in its entirety, much like the boycotters themselves maintain. But.. Only in the interest of political correctness and staying hip with the artsy fartsy crowd it seems. Perhaps the ignorant tend to hang out in packs. Instead of ‘constantly learning more about the boycott Israel & divestment campaign’ do yourself a favor & open a history book sometime Cameron, jeez.
Thankfully, other Canadians are a bit more enlightened
Some have resorted to mockery by calling for a boycott boycott. The best part of this piece is right at the end where the author firmly tongue in cheek states..
Not that I have anything against these people; some of my best friends are artists.
A quite clever shot at the usual haters defense. I can’t possibly be an anti-Semite because some of my best friends are Jewish. Ha! Two points awarded. Here in Israel what can we possibly say? Other than to point out the fact that we are a democratic society with a substantial Arab citizen minority.
A minority who happen to enjoy the most rights & freedoms of any Muslim Arabs in the entire Middle East. What can we say other than the fact that our peace partners routinely indoctrinate their children to be suicide bombers & mass murderers? That despite the TIFF statements themselves, the United Nations recognized Israel & Tel Aviv itself as part of the Jewish State over 60 YEARS AGO! That the only place it is still ‘contested’ is in the small minds of Jew Haters? How can we rationally defend against irrational and frankly profoundly ignorant haters like Klein and her ilk?
We can start like this..
As the founder of the Wiesenthal Center Rabbi Marvin Hier stated:
“By calling into question the legitimacy of Tel Aviv, they are supporting a one-state solution, which means the destruction of the State of Israel. I applaud the organizers of the festival for celebrating on the 100th anniversary of Tel Aviv. If every city in the Middle East would be as culturally diverse, as open to freedom of expression as Tel Aviv is, then peace would long have come to the Middle East.”
Indeed, but this is not about peace Rav Hier, it’s not about Palestinians, it’s about one thing only. Irrational hatred and anti-Semitism. Here’s a list of the Israel haters, a couple of them are typically deluded left wing Israelis themselves. Their mothers would be proud.
- Ahmad Abdalla, Filmmaker, Egypt
- Hany Abu-Assad, Filmmaker, Palestine
- Mark Achbar, Filmmaker, Canada
- Zackie Achmat, AIDS activist, South Africa
- Ra’anan Alexandrowicz, Filmmaker, Jerusalem
- Anthony Arnove, Publisher and Producer, USA
- Ruba Atiyeh, Documentary Director, Lebanon
- Joslyn Barnes, Writer and Producer, USA
- John Berger, Author, France
- Dionne Brand, Poet/Writer, Canada
- Judith Butler, Professor, USA
- David Byrne, Musician, USA
- Guy Davidi Director, Israel
- Na-iem Dollie, Journalist/Writer, South Africa
- Igor Drljaca, Filmmaker, Canada
- Eve Ensler, Playwright, Author, USA
- Eyal Eithcowich, Director, Israel
- Sophie Fiennes, Filmmaker, UK
- Peter Fitting, Professor, Canada
- Jane Fonda, Actor and Author, USA
- Danny Glover, Filmmaker and Actor, USA
- Noam Gonick, Director, Canada
- Malcolm Guy, Filmmaker, Canada
- Mike Hoolboom, Filmmaker, Canada
- Annemarie Jacir, Filmmaker, Palestine
- Fredric Jameson, Literary Critic, USA
- Juliano Mer Khamis, Filmmaker, Jenin/Haifa
- Bonnie Sherr Klein Filmmaker, Canada
- Paul Laverty, Producer, UK
- Min Sook Lee, Filmmaker, Canada
- Paul Lee, Filmmaker, Canada
- Yael Lerer, publisher, Tel Aviv
- Jack Lewis, Filmmaker, South Africa
- Ken Loach, Filmmaker, UK
- Arab Lotfi, Filmmaker, Egypt/Lebanon
- Kyo Maclear, Author, Toronto
- Mahmood Mamdani, Professor, USA
- Fatima Mawas, Filmmaker, Australia
- Tessa McWatt, Author, Canada and UK
- Cornelius Moore, Film Distributor, USA
- Yousry Nasrallah, Director, Egypt
- Rebecca O’Brien, Producer, UK
- Pratibha Parmar, Producer/Director, UK
- Jeremy Pikser, Screenwriter, USA
- John Pilger, Filmmaker, UK
- Shai Carmeli Pollak, Filmmaker, Israel
- Ian Iqbal Rashid, Filmmaker, Canada
- Judy Rebick, Professor, Canada
- David Reeb, Artist, Tel Aviv
- B. Ruby Rich, Critic and Professor, USA
- Wallace Shawn, Playwright, Actor, USA
- Eyal Sivan, Filmmaker and Scholar, Paris/London/Sderot
- Elia Suleiman, Fimmlaker, Nazareth/Paris/New York
- Eran Torbiner, Filmmaker, Israel
- Alice Walker, Writer, USA
- Thomas Waugh, Professor, Canada
- Howard Zinn, Writer, USA
- Slavoj Zizek, Professor, Slovenia
Big thanks to my friend Neil, himself a Canadian for forwarding this outrageous story & links. Incidentally, I only have one Talking Heads cd. But I threw it out a long time ago. Not because David Byrne is clearly an Israel hater. But because he’s a washout like the vast majority of these artists listed and I needed to make room for more useful things in my possession. If you want it, it’s at the bottom of some garbage dump in Montreal.
Link Update: Dershowitz blogs..
[...] Their petition, which is filled with misstatement of facts and rewriting of history, describes Israel as “an apartheid regime.”
It focuses not so much on Israel’s occupation of the West Bank since 1967, but rather on Israel’s very existence since 1948. It characterizes Tel Aviv, a city built by the sweat of Jews largely on barren coastal land, as illegitimate. [...]
Imagine how the hard Left would react if anyone tried to censor or boycott these writers and actors! They would cry “McCarthyism.” Yet McCarthyism from the hard left is as dangerous to liberty as McCarthyism from the hard right.
Double standards? Hypocrisy? Ignorance? On the Left? Nooooo. Can’t be.
* I edited and added the TIFF open letter statement for more clarity